NWT Arts Council

Frequently Asked Questions

Individual or Organization:

Project Schedule:

Presentation to the Public:

Assistance From Other Sources:

  • What kinds of assistance should I list in section G of the application?

    Arts Council encourages applicants to match the project funds they are requesting with their own resources, financial support, and other types of in-kind assistance from the community.

    This assistance could include donations of art materials, space to do the work, technical advice or services, and other funding. Please be sure to list assistance that is already confirmed separately from assistance that you have requested.

Budgets and Funding:

Samples of Work:

  • How many samples of work should I submit?

    Three samples are usually enough. Requirements are specified on the SECTION F SUPPLEMENT, which is the last page of the application form for each discipline.

    Arts Council needs to see or hear an adequate representation of your most recent technique and style. These samples should demonstrate your abilities and relate directly to the project you are proposing.

    Remember that your work will be evaluated on artistic merit, so please submit the highest quality material you have available. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that any audio/video samples function properly.

  • Should I send original works as samples?

    PLEASE DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL MATERIALS. The NWT Arts Council will not return samples, and cannot assume responsibility for damages or loss of original materials.

Letters of Support:

Artistic Resume:

Languages in the North:

Taxable Income:

  • Where can I find recording studios in the NWT?


    Norman Glowach, Spiritwalker Productions
    5101 - 54 Street YELLOWKNIFE, NT X1A 1W6
    Ph (867) 873-3912 or 765-8708 Fax (867) 873-3714
    E-mail: spiritwalkerpro@hotmail.com

    Norbert Poitras, Laundry Room Studio Productions
    111 Banke Crescent YELLOWKNIFE, NT X1A 3M7
    Ph (867) 669-8885 Cell (867) 444-6529
    E-mail: ykbassman@hotmail.com

    Travis Mercredi, Outland Sound Design
    Box 11023 Yellowknife, NT X1A 3X7
    Ph (867) 446-9099
    E-mail: outlandsound@gmail.com


    Dana Cross, Cross Creative Media
    105-31 Capital Drive HAY RIVER, NT
    Ph (867) 875-8131 Fax (867) 874-2583
    E-mail: dcross@haywiredaudio.com

    Glen McPhee, Glen McPhee Studio
    54 Cranberry Crescent HAY RIVER, NT, X0E 0R5
    Ph 867-874-4311
    E-mail: glenmcphee@hotmail.com

  • Where can I find other financial support for sound recording?

    The NWT Arts Council has put together a handy guide to organizations, agencies and government departments currently supporting sound recording and dissemination in Canada.

What is the Canada Council for the Arts?

The Canada Council for the Arts is a national arm’s length agency created in 1957 to "foster and promote the study and enjoyment of, and the production of works in, the arts." To fulfil this mandate, the Canada Council provides grants and services to professional Canadian artists and arts organizations in dance, media arts, music, theatre, writing and publishing, interdisciplinary work and performance art, and visual arts.

Who is eligible to apply for a grant?

Professional artists in one of the above artistic fields (e.g. published writers, visual artists, musicians) may apply. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. The Canada Council defines a professional artist as someone who has specialized training in the field (not necessarily in academic institutions), who is recognized as such by her or his peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition), and who has a history of public presentation or publication. Artists who are awarded a Canada Council grant will be required to devote a substantial portion of their time to their program of work during the period of the grant.

Professional artists are divided into three categories: emerging, mid-career and established. The criteria for these categories differ from one artistic discipline to the next and are listed in each grant program document. Generally, emerging artists are those at an early stage in their career who have completed their basic training and have created a modest independent body of work, mid-career artists are those who have created an independent body of work for a number of years, and established artists are those at a mature stage in their careers who have created an extensive body of work and have reached an advanced level of achievement.

Canadian non-profit arts organizations - such as theatre companies, art museums, public galleries, artist-run centres, dance companies, orchestras and film co-operatives - that are staffed by arts professionals who create artistic works, or present them to the Canadian public, are also eligible, as are professional publishing houses.

How do I apply for a grant?

If you require information on a specific grant program, request the program information sheet (or, if you have already decided to apply, request an application form and guidelines for that program). If you need a listing of all grants available in your particular discipline, request the summary of grants available for that discipline. Note that all Canada Council grant information is also available on the CCA's website.

Further Information

350 Albert Street,
P.O. Box 1047,
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5V8
1-800 263-5588 or (613) 566-4414


  • Does "not eligible" mean "not good"?

    No. The Canada Council has very precise guidelines and eligibility criteria for each program. If a project does not meet the requirements of a specific program, it does not mean that the project isn’t worthwhile. Try contacting other organizations or government departments; they may have programs that could support your project.

  • I want to start an art business. Can I get a grant from the Canada Council?

    No. While the Canada Council supports individual professional artists in the creation and presentation of their work, an organization must be incorporated as non-profit to be eligible for assistance (except in the case of a professional publishing house). The Council does not give grants to support a commercial production line of art.

  • Can I get a grant to go to university or college in my artistic field?

    It depends. Some of the Canada Council’s grants to individuals cover costs related to a period of advanced study or professional development training (for example, in theatre, music, dance). However, these grants are intended for recognized professional artists who are pursuing further studies to build on their existing skills or to study with a mentor. The Canada Council will not cover the costs of basic training at a university or college.

  • Are Aboriginal artists restricted to Aboriginal programs at the Canada Council, or can they apply for grants from other programs?

    Aboriginal artists can apply to any Canada Council program for which they are eligible. All programs are accessible to Aboriginal artists or arts organizations and artists or arts organizations from diverse cultural and regional communities of Canada.

  • How do I determine whether my project belongs in Media Arts, Inter-Arts or another section?

    Artists in many disciplines are now incorporating media technologies into their work. Read the program guidelines and application form carefully, and be sure to discuss your project with a Program Officer in Media Arts or with the Inter-Arts Coordinator before applying. The Program Officers will be able to direct you to the right program for your project.

  • How can I tell the difference between a disciplinary art form (such as theatre) and an inter-arts practice (such as interdisciplinary work or a new artistic practice)?

    Consult the information sheet for the discipline closest to your project and compare it with the Inter-Arts Program. If your project is eligible under an existing grant program of the Canada Council, it is not eligible under the Inter-Arts Program (with the exception of performance art, which is also eligible under certain programs in the Visual Arts Section). Note that interdisciplinary work projects, by definition, integrate distinct art forms (not just juxtapose them) and transform them into a new form of disciplinary practice.

    You may also consult the Searchable Grants Listing of previously successful Canada Council applicants.

    If you still have questions, send a one-page summary of your project (maximum of 300 words) to the Inter-Arts Coordinator well before the competition deadline. Include the following information: a summary of the artistic intentions and activities of the project; the names of the project participants, with a short description of each one’s role; the intended audience and venue for presentation of the work; project cost; and specific questions concerning eligibility.

  • Grants to individuals cover "subsistence" costs. What does this mean?

    Subsistence costs are essentially the costs of living, like rent and food. Grants can cover a maximum of $2,000 per month for living expenses.

  • How do I describe my "program of work"?

    Describe what you want to do. Present your plan in such a way that someone who has never heard of you can understand your vision. Outline how you intend to organize your time to carry out the project. State what you will accomplish with the grant.

    Present your plan clearly and succinctly, allowing the peer assessment committee to grasp the nature, intention and relevance of your project in relation to your artistic approach. Remember, you are writing for artists and arts professionals who work in your artistic discipline.

  • Can I submit extra support material?

    Submit only the material requested in the application form and be judicious about the material you include. Peer assessment committees have a limited time in which to study each grant application. This ensures that all applicants are assessed on the same basis.

  • Can I fax or e-mail my application?

    No. The Canada Council does not accept applications that are sent by fax or e-mail. You may, however, send your application on the day of the deadline, as long as it carries the postmark of the deadline date (a postmark is the Canada Post or courier company's date stamp). If this date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day. Note that photocopies of application forms are acceptable, but all signatures must be original (not photocopied).

  • Can I submit my application after the deadline, or send the form by the deadline and the support material later on?

    No. The Canada Council’s deadlines are firm, and any applications that are incomplete or postmarked after the deadline will be returned to you unassessed (unless you have confirmed otherwise with a Program Officer).

  • How will I know whether the Canada Council has received my application?

    Upon receiving the application, the Canada Council will send, by mail, an immediate acknowledgement.

  • How do Program Officers decide which applications will get a grant?

    Program Officers do not have the authority to decide who gets a grant, except in the case of Travel Grants. Their job is to determine your eligibility to apply to the program and to oversee the peer assessment process. Applications are reviewed by peer assessment committees, composed of other practising artists or arts professionals who are specialists in a particular field. New peer assessment committees of three to seven members are selected for each competition.

  • What should I do if there is a major change to my project after it has been submitted?

    If major changes are made to your project after the application has been submitted, contact the appropriate Program Officer. The changes should be discussed with the officer and documented in your file.

  • How do I find out whether I got a grant? Can I telephone to find out my results?

    The Canada Council will not release the results by telephone. Results are sent by mail only, three to five months after the deadline. Support material is returned at the same time (sometimes under separate cover), unless other treatment of support material has been indicated in the application guidelines.

  • How will I receive payment of my grant?

    Grant payments are made in one or two instalments, in Canadian funds only. You will receive a letter notifying you that your application was successful and describing any special conditions. In some cases, you have to fill out, sign and return a grant acknowledgement form before a cheque can be issued. Note that the amount received may be less than the amount you requested in your application.

  • Can I find out who got a grant and who was on the peer assessment committee?

    Yes. The Searchable Grants Listing, a database of successful grant applicants, is accessible through our Web site.

    The names of the peer assessment committee members are posted in the CCA's Annual Reports. You can also write to us to request the list of peer assessors, and we will send it to you by mail.

  • I didn’t get a grant. Can I get feedback about my application from the peer assessment committee?

    In some cases, feedback will be included in the letter of notification. If it isn’t, you are welcome to call the appropriate Program Officer to discuss your application, and he or she will transmit the committee’s feedback. Remember, though, that any feedback given by the peer assessment committee is in the context of the particular competition. That is, you will find out how your application fared compared with the others that were assessed in the competition.

Canadian Public Arts Funders

Canadian Public Arts Funders (CPAF) is a network that unites and serves the federal, provincial and territorial arts councils and equivalent public arts funders. There is a CPAF member organization in each province and territory in Canada, and the member at the federal level is the Canada Council for the Arts.

Provincial and Territorial Arts Councils

  • Alberta
    Alberta Foundation for the Arts (AFA) is a crown agency of the Government of Alberta which provides funding to individual artists and arts organizations in the visual, performing and literary arts, and cultural industries.
  • British Columbia
    British Columbia Arts Council is committed to ensuring that all British Columbians are able to participate in a healthy arts and cultural community recognized for its excellence. Program Areas include Arts Festivals, Arts Training Resources, Community Arts Development, Dance, Literary Arts, Media Arts, Museums, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts.
  • Manitoba
    Manitoba Arts Council's mandate is to promote the study, enjoyment, production and performance of work in the arts.
  • New Brunswick
    New Brunswick Arts Board is an arm's length arts funding agency with a legislated mandate to facilitate and promote the creation of art; facilitate the enjoyment, awareness, and understanding of the arts; advise the government on arts policy; unify and speak for the arts community; and administer funding programs for professional artists.
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
    Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council is a non-profit organization created to foster and promote the arts of the province through financial assistance programs, and by working with government and the community for development of the arts.
  • Nova Scotia
    The Creative Nova Scotia Leadership Council plays an important role in leading Nova Scotia’s cultural strategy and providing insight and vision to grow the province’s creative economy. Arts Nova Scotia is a newly constituted independent body that oversees government funding that goes directly to artists. The creation of Arts Nova Scotia was part of the province's five-point plan on arts and culture released in February 2011.
  • Nunavut
    Nunavut Arts and Crafts Association is a non-profit incorporated society that promotes the growth and appreciation of Nunavut artists, and the production of their arts and crafts.
  • Ontario
    Ontario Arts Council (OAC) is an independent agency of the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Recreation that supports artists and organizations involved in the arts in Ontario through grants, awards and services.
  • Prince Edward Island
    Prince Edward Island Council of the Arts mandate is to support, assist, encourage and represent the professional arts community in the Province in the pusuit and development of its activities.
  • Québec
    Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec is a government corporation dedicated to the development and diffusion of the arts. The Québec government, through the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, grants assistance, as a partner, to professional artists and non-profit cultural organizations.
  • Saskatchewan
    Saskatchewan Arts Board was the first arms-length government arts funding agency in North America (1948). The Arts Board supports creative expression through the arts and links Saskatchewan in an integrated network which reaches all people in all parts of the province.
  • Yukon
    Yukon Department of Tourism and Culture works with the Yukon's diverse arts and cultural communities to foster creativity and quality of life. The Arts Section acts as the principle liaison in support of the arts sector and oversees co-ordination, consultation and funding activities for artists and organizations in the performing, visual and literary artists and arts and cultural industries organizations.
Go to top of page